The Western Journal

Trump gun rights restoration program: Who qualifies and who doesn’t

The Trump management announced a new process allowing certain individuals previously barred from owning firearms to seek restoration of their federal gun rights. This rule, finalized by Attorney General Todd Blanche, revives a statutory procedure that had been inactive as 1992 due to Congress defunding the relevant review program. The process requires applicants to demonstrate that their conduct since their disqualifying event shows they are not a danger to public safety and that reinstatement serves the public interest, but it is not automatic.

The program broadens eligibility beyond nonviolent offenders, including felons, fugitives, unlawful drug users, some noncitizens, dishonorably discharged military members, and others. The clearest candidates are those with older, nonviolent convictions who have demonstrated rehabilitation. While promising more americans’ rights, the process imposes strict presumptions against relief for individuals convicted of violent crimes or involved in certain illegal activities, and applicants must provide criminal records, character references, and mental health certifications if relevant.

The initiative aligns with the Trump administration’s broader efforts to ease firearms restrictions, following moves like Texas gun rulings and challenges to regulations on ghost guns. The new federal program aims to balance public safety with Second Amendment rights, with applications opening soon through an online portal. However, this restoration applies only at the federal level and does not affect state or tribal restrictions.


The Trump administration unveiled this week a new process that could allow some people long barred from owning firearms to seek restoration of their federal gun rights.

Attorney General Todd Blanche finalized the Federal Firearm Rights Restoration rule on Monday, reviving a statutory process that has been effectively dormant since Congress defunded the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives application-review program in 1992.

Assault weapons and hand guns are seen for sale at Capitol City Arms Supply on Jan. 16, 2013, in Springfield, Ill. (AP Photo/Seth Perlman)

” data-large-file=”https://www.conservativenewsdaily.net/breaking-news/wp-content/uploads//2026/08/localimages/AP23222727452801.jpg?w=696″ “https:>

Assault weapons and hand guns are seen for sale at Capitol City Arms Supply on Jan. 16, 2013, in Springfield, Illinois. (AP Photo/Seth Perlman)

“The Second Amendment is not a second-class right, and the federal government should not permanently deprive Americans of a constitutional right without regard to whether they pose a danger to public safety,” Blanche said in announcing the rule.

The new process is not automatic, and it will not immediately put guns in the hands of people with criminal records. Applicants must persuade the Justice Department that their record, reputation, and conduct since the disqualifying event show they are not likely to endanger public safety and that relief would serve the public interest.

Who can apply for restoration?

The program is broader than a pathway only for people convicted of nonviolent felonies. Federal law allows people prohibited from possessing firearms under several categories to apply, including felons, fugitives, unlawful drug users, people with certain mental-health-related disabilities, some noncitizens, people dishonorably discharged from the military, people who renounced U.S. citizenship, and people subject to certain domestic violence restrictions.

That does not mean every applicant has a realistic chance of approval. The clearest potential beneficiaries are people with older, nonviolent felony convictions who have completed their sentences, remained law-abiding, and can document a record of rehabilitation.

U.S. Pardon Attorney Edward Martin said the rule could create a pathway for the “30 million Americans who have lost their Second Amendment rights,” calling it an “unprecedented restoration of firearms rights.”

Matthew Cavedon, director of the Cato Institute’s Project on Criminal Justice, praised the administration’s move while arguing the process does not go far enough.

“Federal law bans anyone who has ever been convicted of any crime punishable by more than a year in prison from ever having a firearm again,” Cavedon told the Washington Examiner. “Even if their crime had nothing to do with violence, even if they were not sentenced to prison time at all, and even if they pick up someone else’s gun only in order to confront would-be home intruders.”

Who is unlikely to qualify?

The rule creates strong presumptions against relief for people convicted of violent offenses. Absent “extraordinary circumstances,” the DOJ says it will deny applicants with convictions involving homicide, rape or sexual assault, human trafficking, kidnapping, domestic violence, burglary, robbery, extortion, carjacking, arson, gang-related crime, assault, stalking, terrorism, witness tampering, or brandishing or discharging a firearm.

Registered sex offenders, people in the country illegally, fugitives, and people currently incarcerated, awaiting sentencing, or serving another part of a sentence are also presumptively disqualified.

The rule further blocks applications for a period of time after certain crimes. Most other felony convictions create a five-year presumption against relief, while domestic violence misdemeanors, drug trafficking, firearm-related offenses, threats of violence, and animal abuse can trigger a 10-year presumption. Marijuana-only users are excluded from the rule’s definition of an unlawful drug user.

What applicants must show

Applicants will have to submit records concerning their convictions and sentences, criminal-history records, fingerprints, and character references. People seeking relief from a mental-health-related prohibition must provide a current certification from a licensed mental-health professional that they no longer pose a danger.

The rule takes effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register. DOJ plans to open the application portal in stages, initially for 5,000 applicants, and eventually charge a $30 fee, though indigent applicants may seek a waiver.

In a recent video announcing the program, U.S. Pardon Attorney Ed Martin said his office is working to establish an online portal that balances public safety with applicants’ Second Amendment rights. “The launch date of the firearms restoration application is just around the corner,” he said.

Any grant restores only federal firearm rights. It does not override separate state or tribal prohibitions.

Part of Trump administration’s broader gun-rights push

The restoration program is the latest in a series of moves by the Trump administration to ease federal firearms restrictions.

DOJ LETS TEXAS GUN RULING TAKE EFFECT, LEAVING SECOND AMENDMENT ACTIVISTS HOPEFUL AND ANXIOUS

It also follows the department’s decision not to seek an immediate appeal of a Texas federal ruling striking down certain National Firearms Act registration requirements for suppressors and other firearms, a move that has been championed by pro-gun enthusiasts, despite uncertainty about whether the DOJ will continue that litigation in the future or instead dismiss the case sometime in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, more courtroom developments happened on Tuesday in the world of Second Amendment litigation after U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor, an appointee of former President George W. Bush, struck down an ATF rule that required unassembled ghost guns and ghost gun kits to be legally treated as firearms. The move came after the Supreme Court upheld the rule in Bondi v. VanDerStok in March last year.



" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker