Prince Philip, who died on Friday April 9 at the age of 99-years-old, will be laid to rest on Saturday, April 17th, in a private ceremony in accordance with his wishes.
The Daily Wire reported, “Buckingham Palace announced Philip’s death on Friday. The elderly prince has had a host of health problems and had surgery on his heart last month.”
“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle,” a message posted to the royal family’s website says. “Further announcements will be made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
According to NBC News, a spokesman for Buckingham Palace said that the funeral will take place in St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle.
“The royal family hoped the coming days would be seen as a chance to celebrate the Duke of Edinburgh’s ‘remarkable life,’ the spokesman said, adding that the COVID-19 pandemic ‘has of course required us to make significant adaptations to the original arrangements for His Royal Highness’s funeral,’” NBC News reported.
“While this is naturally a time of sadness and mourning for the royal family and the many others who knew or admired the Duke of Edinburgh, it is hoped that the coming days will also be seen as an opportunity to celebrate a remarkable life — remarkable both in terms of his vast contribution and lasting legacy,” the spokesman reportedly added.
Prince Harry is expected to travel from the United States to the United Kingdom for the funeral, while Meghan Markle will not be joining him, apparently following advice from her physician.
“The Duke of Sussex is planning to attend. The Duchess of Sussex has been advised by her physician not to travel. So the duke will be attending,” a spokesman from Buckingham Palace said on Saturday, according to People Magazine.
Harry’s return will be his first time in the United Kingdom in over a year, and will also be the first time he will be with members of the Royal Family since the couple’s now infamous interview with Oprah Winfrey last month, during which Markle appeared to level accusations of racism against the Royal Family.
“Meghan, 39, is expecting the couple’s second child, a baby girl, later this spring,” added People Magazine, while reports suggest that she will not attend Prince Philip’s funeral because of a lack of “medical clearance.”
In February 2019, Markle received some criticism after she flew approximately 10,000 miles in 11 days while over 7 months pregnant, including a stop in New York to celebrate her baby shower.
After Prince Philip’s death, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle posted a single-sentence tribute on their Archwell website, which read, “Thank you for your service…you will be greatly missed.”
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.
.....Continue at The Daily Wire, Meghan Markle Won’t Join Prince Harry, Who Will Return For Prince Philip’s Funeral In First Visit Since Oprah Winfrey Interview