Prosecutors with the Department of Justice (DOJ) claimed former President Donald Trump’s team may still be holding onto allegedly classified records following last month’s raid on his Mar-a-Lago property.
They made the allegation in a court filing Thursday in arguing against the appointment of a special master, or an independent third party, to review the documents that were taken during the unprecedented search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence last month. Earlier this week, a federal judge sided with Trump’s team in granting their request for a special master.
“The injunction against using classified records in the criminal investigation could impede efforts to identify the existence of any additional classified records that are not being properly stored—which itself presents the potential for ongoing risk to national security,” they wrote in the latest filing.
And without a stay of the injunction, “the government and the public will also suffer irreparable harm from the undue delay to the criminal investigation,” DOJ prosecutors wrote.
The federal agency did not provide specific evidence or details as to why it believes more classified records are being kept at Mar-a-Lago.
They argued that some allegedly classified records that were taken from Trump’s home should be in the possession of the DOJ and FBI for review as the two agencies continue their investigation. The former president, according to a warrant released last month, is under investigation for possible obstruction of justice charges and Espionage Act violations.
Trump said the raid targeting his home was politically motivated and designed to harm his chances if he runs for president in 2024. At the same time, the former commander-in-chef has said he had a standing declassification order while he was president, and he pointed to an executive order issued in mid-January 2021.
“This motion is limited to … the seized classified