DC law enforcement to join National Guard on patrol after shooting
Local police in Washington, D.C., are set to join National Guard troops on patrol following a fatal shooting of a U.S. soldier stationed in the city. This collaboration aims to enhance security for the approximately 2,000 National Guard members deployed by President Donald Trump, who do not recieve the same law enforcement training as city police. The policy, expected to begin this week, is still being planned, with discussions ongoing about its duration. The move follows a shooting incident where one National Guard member was killed and another injured. After the shooting, Trump requested an additional 500 troops to be deployed, adding to the 1,500 already present as part of an anti-crime effort. Trump condemned the attack and announced a “permanent pause” on immigration from “third-world countries,” blaming immigration policies under the Biden administration. The suspect, Rahmanulla Lakanwal, an Afghan national who entered the U.S. under a Special Immigration Visa program and had no criminal record, was identified as responsible for the shooting. Authorities stated that he had passed all vetting checks prior to the attack.
DC law enforcement to join National Guard troops on patrol after shooting
Local police in Washington, D.C., are expected to bolster protection for the National Guard by joining military patrols in the country’s capital, after a gunman fatally shot a U.S. soldier stationed in the area this week.
The move would seek to provide further cover for around 2,000 National Guard members President Donald Trump deployed to the District of Columbia, who are not required to have the same law enforcement training as city police officers, according to the Washington Post.
The policy would start this week and is still in the planning stages, according to the outlet. Discussions are still underway as to whether the pairing with the National Guard and district police would be temporary or have longer-term ramifications.
The development responds to a fatal incident on Wednesday, in which one National Guard member died, and another was left in critical condition in D.C. after a gunman targeted them in a shooting.
Immediately after the shooting, Trump requested the deployment of 500 additional troops to the city. Around 1,500 troops had already been deployed as part of an anti-crime initiative the president launched in August.
“America will never bend and never yield in the face of terror, and at the same time, we will not be deterred from the mission these servicemembers were so nobly fulfilling,” Trump said in a video address on Wednesday night.
The president also vowed to “permanently pause” all immigration from “third-world countries” and pursue a policy of “reverse migration,” in response to the shooting, as the White House sought to pin blame for the incident on the Biden administration’s immigration policies.
TRUMP SAYS HE WILL PAUSE IMMIGRATION FROM ‘THIRD-WORLD COUNTRIES’ AFTER SHOOTING
The Trump administration has accused Afghan national Rahmanulla Lakanwal, who worked with a CIA-backed group during the U.S. war in Afghanistan, of carrying out the attacks. Lakanwal was initially granted entry into the country in 2021 through a plan that allowed roughly 90,000 Afghans to obtain Special Immigration Visas after U.S. military forces withdrew from Afghanistan. Lakanwal applied for asylum in December 2024, was approved on April 23 of this year, and had no known criminal history, according to Reuters.
“In terms of vetting, nothing came up,” a senior U.S. official said this week, adding that the government had been conducting continuous annual vetting since the Afghans’ arrival in the country. “He was clean on all checks.”
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."