Colbert slams CBS over ‘crap’ statement denying it pulled James Talarico interview
The article reports that late-night host Stephen Colbert condemned CBS for a “crap” corporate statement about an interview with Texas Democratic state representative James Talarico. CBS said it did not bar the interview but offered legal advice becuase airing it could trigger the FCC’s equal-time rule, and it presented options to satisfy equal-time requirements. Colbert dismissed the statement, posted the interview on YouTube, and criticized CBS’s handling. Talarico’s campaign said donations rose to about $2.5 million after the release.
The piece also notes comments from Jasmine Crockett, Talarico’s opponent in the Texas Senate race, who said she would issue a statement once Paramount Skydance provides full facts and suggested Colbert’s YouTube posting was a prudent strategy. Early voting was underway for the Texas primaries on March 3.The article mentions that Colbert’s show, the Late show, is scheduled to end May 21 for financial reasons, and it includes related recommended stories and context about the FCC equal-time rule.
Colbert slams CBS over ‘crap’ statement denying it pulled James Talarico interview
Late-night host Stephen Colbert criticized CBS on Tuesday over what he called a “crap” corporate statement regarding an interview with Democratic Texas state Rep. James Talarico.
CBS released a statement that said it did not bar Colbert from airing the interview with Talarico, but rather provided legal advice that doing so could trigger the Federal Communications Commission‘s equal time rule and “presented options for how the equal time for other candidates could be fulfilled.”
“For the lawyers to release this [statement] without even talking to me is really surprising,” Colbert said. “I don’t even know what to do with this crap.”
Colbert then crumbled up the statement and put it into a doggie bag.
Colbert previously said he was not allowed to air his interview with Talarico, who is challenging Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-TX) for a Senate seat, because of the FCC’s rule that candidates running for the same office be granted equal time on broadcast networks.
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is set to end its 11-year run on May 21. CBS said the termination is due to financial reasons.
Ignoring CBS’s legal advice, Colbert posted Talarico’s interview on YouTube, where it has gotten over 5 million views.
Since the interview was released, Talarico said in an X post that his campaign has raised $2.5 million in donations.
Crockett, who has appeared on Colbert’s show, weighed in on the controversy and said she would put out a statement once Paramount Skydance, which owns CBS, put forward all of the facts.
Crockett noted that the interview drama happened the same day early voting opened for the Democratic and Republican primaries in Texas.
The Texas Democrat said she thought Colbert uploading the interview to YouTube was a “good strategy” and that she has no issues with Colbert.
“We didn’t have an issue. We’ve never run into an issue with Colbert,” Crockett said in an interview with MS Now’s Jen Psaki. “It’s important that we resist in this moment. So, there were a number of options that could’ve been put on the table. And, frankly, the ‘Late Show’ decided that this was the option, and I think that it was a good strategy.”
Crockett and Talarico are competing for the Democratic candidacy in Texas’s Senate race. Early voting has already started, and the primary will be held on March 3.
WHAT IS THE FCC EQUAL TIME RULE AT CENTER OF COLBERT-TALARICO INTERVIEW CONTROVERSY?
Whoever wins the primary will challenge the Republican nominee, whether that be incumbent Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) or one of the two challengers.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and Rep. Wesley Hunt (R-TX) are looking to succeed Cornyn in the high-stakes primary.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."



