The United States Capitol Police revealed new details on Tuesday alleging Stephen Colbert’s staffers repeatedly disobeyed instructions from Capitol police officers prior to their arrest.
The news came one day after the U.S. Attorney’s office declined to charge the staffers, whom the Capitol police referred to as the “Colbert Nine.”
What are the details?
Capitol police Chief J. Thomas Manger explained in a letter the production crew was arrested in the Longworth House Office Building after a staffer for Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) secured his office and called the USCP emergency phone number to report a disturbance outside the office next to Bowman’s.
That office belonged to Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.).
“Do you remember me? Do you remember me?” a man with the production crew reportedly shouted outside Boebert’s door. “It’s me. We’re going to leave something under your door.”
A member of the production crew told responding officers they were credentialed press. However, none of the production crew had congressional press identification, neither were they accompanied by a congressional staff member, Manger explained. The group needed both to be in the building.
Even worse, the group had already been escorted out of different building, the Cannon House Office Building, earlier in the day when a Capitol police officer stopped the group for not having press credentials or a staff escort.
When officers confronted the production crew, group leader Jake Plunkett told officers they were in the building to film comedy skits for Colbert’s show. They had planned to film outside the offices House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Marjorie Taylor-Greene (R-Ga). The crew admitted they were “pretending to leave notes” under the office doors, but did not actually leave any.
“The note was allegedly an invitation to a cocaine orgy,” Manger wrote.
Prior to the incident, the production crew applied for press credentials, but were denied. Plunkett, according to Manger, declined to appeal the decision because “he knew [the production crew] would not qualify qualify as press.”
What about the DOJ’s decision?
Manger condemned the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia for not criminally charging the production crew despite the ample evidence showing they broke the law.
“It is unfortunate that despite all of the evidence the Department presented, including that the group or its leader had been told several times that they could not be in the buildings without an escort, that the U.S. Attorney’s office declined to prosecute any members of the group for Unlawful Entry,” Manger said.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia released a statement on Monday claiming prosecutors were not moving forward with the case because the evidence was not enough to secure convictions.
Manger’s letter, however, calls into question that decision because the evidence shows the production crew knew they were not supposed to be inside the office building and even allegedly lied about being credentialed press.
TheBlaze has reached out to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia seeking a response to Manger’s letter.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."