US military craft wreckage recovered, search ongoing for missing Americans
Wreckage of Crashed US Military Craft Being Recovered, Search Continues for Missing Americans
Japanese authorities handed over pieces of the wreckage from a U.S. Air Force Osprey that crashed off southwestern Japan to the U.S. military on Sunday, as the search continued for seven missing service members. The only body so far recovered has now been formally identified.
The wreckage had been collected by a ship from the regional coast guard headquarters and by fishers from the town of Yakushima since the CV-22 aircraft crashed into the water near the town Wednesday during a training mission to Okinawa.
Japan Coast Guard 10th Regional Headquarters said the unidentified pieces of wreckage, which had been kept at the town hall, were handed over to the U.S. military for further examination. Debris collected by the fishers had been picked up by the U.S. military earlier Sunday, and that collected by the coast guard was also to be handed over later in the day.
The handover is procedure according to the Japan-U.S. Status Forces Agreement, under which Japanese authorities are not given the right to seize or investigate U.S. military property unless the U.S. decides otherwise. That means it will be practically impossible for Japan to investigate the cause of the accident.
The agreement, known as SOFA, has in the past repeatedly made Japanese investigation difficult in criminal cases involving American service members on Okinawa and elsewhere, and has been criticized as unequal by rights activists and others, including Okinawa Gov. Denny Tamaki, who call for a revision.
The Air Force Special Operations Command formally identified the one confirmed victim as Air Force Staff Sgt. Jacob Galliher of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, on Saturday, after tributes had begun pouring in the day before.
Galliher’s family issued a statement Saturday saying it was in mourning and asking for privacy and prayers for his wife, two children, and other family members.
“Jacob was an incredible son, brother, husband, father, and friend to so many. His short life touched and made better the lives of hundreds, if not thousands in Pittsfield, in this region and everywhere he served,” the family said. “Jacob lived to serve his family, his country, and the people he loved.”
The U.S. military said it was continuing to look for the rest of the crew.
“We want to assure our air commandos’ families that our efforts will continue and include every possible capability at our disposal,” said Rear Adm. Jeromy Williams, Pacific commander for the Special Operations Command.
U.S. Ambassador to Japan Rahm Emanuel, in a statement Sunday, said “your heart and your spirit are torn when you see a young man with such promise lose his life in the service of a set of ideals.” He said the top priority is the safety of the service members, as well as the communities where they operate, and pledged to make sure “the equipment, the aircraft, anything that you’re using” is safe.
Emanuel thanked the Japanese Self Defense Forces, the coast guard, and the local fishing communities for their support in the search for the seven still missing and promised full transparency.
“Obviously, in a fully transparent way as we investigate what happened, to rectify it, we will be transparent with our partner, Japan. And while there are a lot of questions to be answered, we are focused like a laser on the search and rescue operation to secure the safety of the other servicemembers,” Emanuel said, but did not say if the U.S. side would allow Japanese authorities into the crash probe.
Sharp reported from Portland, Maine.
The Western Journal has reviewed this Associated Press story and may have altered it prior to publication to ensure that it meets our editorial standards.
The post Wreckage of Crashed US Military Craft Being Recovered, Search Continues for Missing Americans appeared first on The Western Journal.
How is the U.S. military conducting the investigation into the cause of the Osprey crash?
Command’s Special Operations Director. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragic incident.”
The cause of the crash is still under investigation, and it remains uncertain what led to the Osprey’s descent into the water. The investigation will likely be conducted by the U.S. military, in accordance with the Japan-U.S. Status Forces Agreement.
This incident has once again highlighted the controversial nature of the SOFA agreement. Critics argue that it allows the U.S. military to avoid full scrutiny and accountability in cases like this, preventing the Japanese authorities from conducting their own investigations. There have been calls for a revision of the agreement to ensure more equal treatment and transparency.
Meanwhile, the priority remains on finding the missing service members. The search efforts have been ongoing since the crash occurred, with both Japanese and U.S. forces involved in the operation. The recovery of the wreckage will hopefully provide some clues about the cause of the crash and aid in the search for the missing personnel.
As the search continues, support and condolences pour in for Staff Sgt. Jacob Galliher. He is remembered as a dedicated serviceman who touched the lives of many. His family is mourning his loss and asks for privacy during this difficult time.
The recovery and investigation process may take time, but the determination to find answers and bring closure to the families of the missing Americans remains unwavering. The joint efforts of Japanese and U.S. authorities will continue until all possibilities have been exhausted.
Tragedies like this highlight the risks and sacrifices made by military personnel every day. It serves as a reminder of the dangers they face and the importance of providing support and care for those who serve.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the missing service members, as well as with Staff Sgt. Jacob Galliher’s family during this difficult time.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."