Vatican rejects invitation to Trump’s Board of Peace, favoring UN
– The Vatican has declined to join Donald Trump’s proposed Board of Peace for Gaza reconstruction, saying its nature differs from that of other states and that international crisis management should primarily be handled by the United Nations.
– Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s Secretary of State, explained that the Holy See does not intend to participate and emphasized that, at the international level, the UN should lead crisis response efforts.
– Trump has suggested the Board of Peace as a potential choice to the UN, but the Vatican’s stance remains that the UN holds the central role in crisis management. pope Leo XIII (referred to as Leo XIV in the article) was reportedly considering the decision and needed time.
– Italy will participate as an observer rather than a full member, a compromise that Prime minister Giorgia Meloni described as compatible with Italy’s constitutional role while recognizing Italy’s and Europe’s involvement in stabilizing the Middle East.
– The Board of Peace is intended to coordinate humanitarian aid and reconstruction in Gaza following the Israel-Hamas war. Its inaugural meeting is planned in Washington, where participating members are expected to pledge more than $5 billion for Gaza’s rebuilding.
Vatican rejects invitation to Trump’s Board of Peace, insisting on UN as ‘crisis’ manager
The Vatican will not be joining President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace tasked with overseeing the reconstruction process in post-war Gaza, an official in the central governing body of the Roman Catholic Church said on Tuesday.
The Holy See instead favors the United Nations as its preferred manager of international “crisis situations.”
The papal government “will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States,” Cardinal Pietro Parolin, who serves as the Vatican’s secretary of state, told reporters.
Among the concerns that the Vatican had regarding its potential participation in the Board of Peace, Parolin said, is that “at the international level it should above all be the U.N. that manages these crisis situations.” He noted that this is “one of the points on which we have insisted.”
Trump has suggested the Board of Peace could one day replace the U.N. because it has failed to resolve multiple wars, including the Israel-Hamas war.
“The U.N. just hasn’t been very helpful,” Trump said in January. “I’m a big fan of the U.N.’s potential, but it has never lived up to its potential. The U.N. should have settled every one of the wars that I settled. I never went to them. I never even thought to go to them. They should be able to settle those wars.”
However, he added, “I believe you’ve got to let the U.N. continue because the potential is so great.”
When the Vatican received Trump’s invitation to join his new international body last month, Parolin said Pope Leo XIV was “considering what to do” and that a “bit of time for consideration” would be needed before a decision could be made.
While the Vatican ultimately rejected Trump’s offer, Italy will join the Board of Peace as an observer rather than a full-time member.
“We believe this is a good solution to the clear issue of whether Italy’s membership in the Peace Board is constitutionally compatible,” Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said over the weekend. “I have always said that with all the work Italy has done, is doing, and must do in the Middle East to stabilize a very complex and fragile situation, an Italian and also European presence is necessary.”
TRUMP SAYS BOARD OF PEACE MEMBER STATES HAVE VOWED OVER $5 BILLION TO REBUILD GAZA
The Trump-led Board of Peace is designed to spearhead the humanitarian and reconstruction efforts in Gaza following the two-year war between Israel and Hamas.
The board is set to hold its inaugural meeting on Thursday at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington, where the United States and other participating members are expected to announce a pledge of more than $5 billion to rebuild the Palestinian enclave.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."