oannThe Western Journal

U.S. forces intercept Iranian drone and protect tanker in Arabian Sea

Two maritime incidents in teh Middle East prompted U.S. military responses on February 3, 2026.In the Arabian Sea, a Navy F-35C from the USS Abraham Lincoln shot down an Iranian Shahed-139 drone that aggressively approached the carrier, wiht officials saying the drone’s intent was unclear and the action was taken in self-defense; there were no injuries or damage reported. Later, in the Strait of Hormuz, the M/V Stena Imperative, a U.S.-flagged tanker, was threatened by a Mohajer drone and two Iranian Revolutionary Guard fast-attack boats. The USS mcfaul and U.S. Air Force aircraft escorted the tanker, deterring the Iranian vessels and ensuring the vessel’s safe passage, with the situation de-escalating.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group, which includes three destroyers, had arrived in the region recently, underscoring the United States’ continued military footprint there. Despite the confrontations, the White House said diplomatic channels remain open, with scheduled talks with Iran still on the calendar and comments from a White House spokesperson noting that diplomacy is a priority but that the president also has a range of options. CENTCOM had issued a stern warning the prior week after Iran announced live-fire naval exercises, stating it would not tolerate high-speed boat approaches on a collision course or armed overflights of U.S. assets when intentions were unclear.


Photo via: centcom.mil – govt.

OAN Staff Brooke Mallory
6:44 PM – Tuesday, February 3, 2026

Tensions escalated in the Middle East on Tuesday as U.S. forces responded to two separate maritime provocations from Iran. According to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), a Navy fighter jet shot down an Iranian drone targeting an aircraft carrier, while a destroyer intervened to protect a U.S.-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz.

The first incident occurred in the Arabian Sea, roughly 500 miles off Iran’s southern coast. A Navy F-35C fighter jet, launched from the USS Abraham Lincoln, intercepted and destroyed an Iranian Shahed-139 drone.

CENTCOM reported that the drone “aggressively approached” the carrier with “unclear intent.” Though Shahed drones are known as long-range “suicide” aircraft, frequently used by Russia in Ukraine, this specific model “unnecessarily maneuvered toward the ship,” prompting the shoot-down.

Officials confirmed the jet acted “in self-defense and to protect the aircraft carrier and personnel on board.” No injuries or equipment damage were reported.

Later that day, the USS McFaul and U.S. Air Force aircraft rushed to assist the M/V Stena Imperative, a U.S.-flagged and crewed tanker. The vessel was transiting the Strait of Hormuz when it was suddenly swarmed by a Mohajer drone and two Iranian Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) fast-attack boats.

CENTCOM stated the Iranian craft had “threatened to board and seize the tanker,” and the McFaul “immediately responded to the scene to escort M/V Stena Imperative with defensive air support from the U.S. Air Force.” The military presence successfully deterred the Iranian vessels, and the situation “de-escalated as a result, and the U.S.-flagged tanker is proceeding safely,” they added.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group, including three destroyers, arrived in the region just last week. Currently, the U.S. maintains a significant footprint in the area.

Despite the military friction, the White House indicated that diplomatic channels remain open. Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt confirmed that upcoming talks between the U.S. and Iran are still on the calendar.

“I just spoke with special envoy [Steve] Witkoff, and these talks, as of right now, are still scheduled,” Leavitt said. “President Trump is always wanting to pursue diplomacy first, but obviously it takes two to tango… As always though, of course, the president has a range of options on the table with respect to Iran as commander in chief.”

The incidents follow a stern warning issued by CENTCOM last Friday after Iran announced live-fire naval exercises. The command emphasized it would not tolerate “highspeed boat approaches on a collision course” or “armed overflight of U.S. military assets when intentions are unclear.”

Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts

What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!

 


Sponsored Content Below



" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker