DeSantis vs. Trump: The Battle for the Republican Nomination
On May 24, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced his candidacy for president, but his top Republican rival, Donald Trump, had a different message for voters. In two campaign ads on his Truth Social account, Trump portrayed DeSantis as an ungrateful “Trump imposter” who should be thanking him instead of running against him.
- The first ad recounted how DeSantis sought Trump’s endorsement for his 2018 run for governor and how it propelled him to victory. The ad asked, “Isn’t it time DeSantis remembers how he got to where he is?”
- The second ad implied that DeSantis is a “Washington-established” politician who is trying to be “just like Donald Trump.” The ad concluded, “The truth? There’s only one Donald Trump.”
DeSantis’ formal campaign announcement was delayed due to technical issues with Twitter’s “Spaces” platform, but he eventually made his case to more than 600,000 people. He positioned himself as the candidate who could “restore sanity” to the United States and end the “culture of losing” in the Republican Party.
DeSantis’ Vision for America
- Restore American leadership on the world stage
- Secure the border and enforce immigration laws
- Protect American jobs and businesses
- Defend the Constitution and the rule of law
- Ensure access to quality healthcare
DeSantis promised that if nominated, he would lead America’s great comeback and choose a new direction that would lead to American revitalization. The battle for the Republican nomination has just begun, and it remains to be seen who will come out on top.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."