Plaintiffs take Cook County gun ban challenge to SCOTUS

Teh article discusses a legal challenge to cook County’s ban on semi-automatic firearms, specifically the case Viramontes v. Cook County, filed in 2021. Plaintiffs are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case after lower courts upheld the ban. Alan Gottlieb from the Second Amendment Foundation views the case as a strong candidate for Supreme Court review, emphasizing that delayed rights are effectively denied rights.The request to the Supreme Court comes shortly before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals is scheduled to hear arguments about a related statewide gun ban in Illinois, which a federal judge previously ruled unconstitutional. Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker defends the statewide ban, citing concerns about gun violence and mental health issues, but opponents argue that constitutional rights should not be overridden by societal concerns. The Supreme Court’s decision on whether to take up the Cook County case remains uncertain.


Plaintiffs take Cook County gun ban challenge to SCOTUS

(The Center Square) – Plaintiffs challenging Cook County’s ban on semi-automatic firearms are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to take the case.

Filed in 2021, Viramontes v. Cook County challenges the county’s ordinance banning certain firearms. The lower courts sided with the county and against the plaintiffs. Second Amendment Foundation’s Alan Gottlieb said the case is ready for the nation’s highest court.

“Our position is the right delayed is a right denied and so any case that we can get to the Supreme Court the quickest, is the one we’re going to push,” Gottlieb told The Center Square.

The request comes less than a month before the Seventh Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals is set to hear oral arguments in a challenge to the statewide ban after a district judge found the law unconstitutional.

“The Supreme Court has indicated its interest in addressing assault weapons bans in the next term or two and we think this is a solid vehicle for that review,” he said.

Wednesday, Gov. J.B. Pritzker reacted to the mass shooting at a Catholic mass in Minneapolis where two children were killed and 14 others injured. He said there are too many guns on the streets.

“There are kids and adults who need mental health and substance use treatment who are often the people who ultimately they can get ahold of guns, we’ve got to stop that, but they can get ahold of guns and then commit these terrible crimes,” Pritzker said at an unrelated event in Chicago.

Illinois is defending the statewide gun ban Pritzker enacted in 2023. A federal district judge found the law unconstitutional. Part of the defense the state has presented on appeal is unprecedented societal concerns over mass shootings.

Gottlieb said that argument won’t stand.

BYRON YORK: MINNEAPOLIS SHOOTING REVIVES OLD GUN DEBATE

“It’s a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Just because there’s concerns in society, doesn’t mean you shred the constitution,” he said. “You wouldn’t do that on First Amendment grounds and you shouldn’t do it on Second Amendment grounds either.”

Appeals court oral arguments in the statewide ban are scheduled for Sept. 22 in Chicago. It’s unclear if the Supreme Court will take up the county ban challenge.


Read More From Original Article Here: Plaintiffs take Cook County gun ban challenge to SCOTUS

" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Available for Amazon Prime
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker