Mexico kills leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel ‘El Mencho’
Mexican security forces killed Nemesio oseguera Cervantes, known as El Mencho, the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG), in a military operation in the western state of Jalisco. Cervantes had lead the cartel for more than 15 years and faced U.S. drug-trafficking charges, with a $15 million reward offered for facts leading too his arrest. The CJNG had previously been designated a foreign terrorist organization by the Trump administration as part of efforts to squeeze the cartel’s operations. The operation sparked violence in Jalisco, including roadblocks and vehicles burned by cartel members, as authorities attempted to contain the situation; the U.S. Embassy urged Americans to shelter in place in affected areas. While gunfire was reported at Guadalajara International Airport, officials said that the state’s airports were operating normally.
Mexican security forces kill leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel ‘El Mencho’
Mexican security forces killed the leader of one of the country’s most powerful cartels in a military operation on Sunday, according to the Mexican government.
Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, the drug lord notoriously known as “El Mencho,” had led the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, or CJNG, since the group was created over 15 years ago.
Trump designated eight Latin American cartels and criminal organizations, including CJNG, as foreign terrorist organizations last February.
INSIDE THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION’S EFFORTS TO PRESSURE CUBA’S COMMUNIST REGIME OUT
Cervantes faced federal charges in the United States for drug trafficking offenses related to his illegal business. He was wanted alive by the U.S. for $15 million. The State Department offered the reward for information leading to his arrest.
As the security operation was carried out in the western state of Jalisco, the U.S. Embassy in Mexico advised U.S. citizens to “shelter in place until further notice.” Other areas were also affected by the shelter-in-place order.
The scene in Jalisco and nearby states on Sunday was marked by violence. Cartels burned vehicles on streets to block Mexican authorities, according to video footage. Shootings led by rampaging cartel members reportedly happened in the aftermath of Cervantes’s death.
“Federal forces carried out an operation in Tapalpa a few hours ago, which has led to clashes in the area,” Jalisco Gov. Pablo Lemus Navarro posted on X. “Also as a result of said operation in various points of that region and in other parts of Jalisco, individuals have burned and blocked vehicles with the aim of hindering the actions of authorities.”
TRUMP ‘CONSIDERING’ SMALL-SCALE IRAN STRIKE AS NEGOTIATING TACTIC
He further wrote, “I have given the instruction to immediately establish the security coordination table with authorities from all three levels of government and to activate the red code in order to prevent acts against the population.”
There was also gunfire reported at Guadalajara International Airport in Jalisco, but the Mexican Security Cabinet said all airports in the state were “operating normally” and “no relevant incidents” were recorded at the facilities.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."