Don Bacon warns Trump: No tariff bailout coming from Congress

rep. Don Bacon, a Nebraska Republican who is retiring, says there will be no congressional bailout of Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs after the supreme Court ruled that the management overstepped it’s authority. He believes there aren’t enough votes in Congress to codify the tariffs, and that using budget reconciliation to push them through is unlikely given the GOP’s narrow House majority.Bacon—one of six House Republicans who voted to repeal Trump’s Canada tariffs—argues for targeted tariffs rather than broad measures and doesn’t expect Trump to pursue Russia- or China-focused tariffs through Congress. He urges working with lawmakers to draft tariff legislation, noting that admitting they need Congress would be politically uncomfortable for the president. The article also mentions calls to use reconciliation, mixed reactions from Senate Republicans and Speaker Mike Johnson, and the possibility of a “Plan B” relying on executive action, though that path could face constitutional challenges and votes of disapproval. Bacon casts the Supreme Court ruling as a vindication of congressional power and insists Congress should defend its own authorities rather than defer to the executive.


Republican Don Bacon warns Trump: No tariff bailout coming from Congress

EXCLUSIVE – Rep. Don Bacon (R-NE) won’t support a push by Republican colleagues to codify President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs into law, signaling a bailout is not coming from Congress after the Supreme Court overturned them on Friday.

“Oh, I don’t think they have the votes,” Bacon told the Washington Examiner, minutes after the court ruled 6-3 that Trump overstepped his executive authority.

The decision was met with calls from Trump allies on Capitol Hill to use reconciliation, a budget process that skirts the Senate filibuster, to pass the tariffs. But getting a bill with that language through the House, where Republicans have just a one-seat majority, is all but doomed to fail.

Bacon, a centrist who is retiring at the end of the year, is one of just six House Republicans who voted to repeal Trump’s tariffs on Canada earlier this month, and he believes the well of opposition is much deeper than that vote suggested.

“I can see doing, you know, some targeted tariffs on countries that aren’t treating us right, but that’s not what the president was doing,” Bacon said.

He said that he previously urged the White House’s legislative affairs team to bring tariffs on Russia and China to Congress, but does not expect Trump to pursue that approach. The current scope of tariffs applies to virtually every U.S. trading partner.

“Why don’t you work with us and draft legislation with us, and we’ll pass it,” Bacon said of those conversations. “But that would be an admission that they need us on tariffs, so they don’t like that.”

FILE – U.S. Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., speaks following a closed-door GOP meeting at the Capitol in Washington, Oct. 16, 2023. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File)

Sen. Bernie Moreno (R-OH) was among the first Republicans to suggest using reconciliation to keep Trump’s tariffs in place, calling Friday’s Supreme Court decision a “betrayal” that “handcuffs our fight against unfair trade.” Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), meanwhile, responded to the ruling with a statement promising that “Congress and the Administration will determine the best path forward in the coming weeks.”

The more likely path for the White House is a “Plan B” that relies on different executive authorities to keep the tariffs in place. Yet, Trump would likely face similar legal challenges and periodic votes of disapproval from Congress.

“I hope he doesn’t, because we’ll go down the same path, because there will be constitutional issues,” Bacon said, describing the Supreme Court ruling as a “vindication” of congressional power.

Bacon has frequently sparred with GOP leadership over the issue, helping vote down a bid by Johnson earlier this month to block legislation repealing Trump’s tariffs from coming to the House floor.

On Friday, Bacon said he would support additional resolutions like the one on Canadian tariffs that passed last week, but urged Trump to instead let the Supreme Court ruling stand.

SUPREME COURT STRIKES DOWN TRUMP’S SWEEPING ‘LIBERATION DAY’ TARIFFS

“They can try to package it a different way, and I think they’ll get the same results from the Supreme Court,” Bacon said.

“I think Congress should not just say, ‘We’re not going to defend our own authorities, we just hope the court does.’ No, we should stand up on our own two feet and defend our authorities,” he added.



" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker